Monday, March 26, 2012

Small Steps Equal Big Victories!

I suppose that sums it up in a nutshell.  The first and biggest victory by far is the sale of our first project pony, Jonah.  Oh, how hard it was to let him go, but at the same time I think we found him the most amazing home possible.  His new owner is an 18 year old girl, and this is her first horse.  She is ecstatic by far, and we signed the papers to make it official this weekend.  I have to admit, I kind of miss his snuggly little personality, but it does take a little weight off my shoulders in terms of how many mouths depend on my pocketbook to feed an extra mouth!

The weekend was chaotic but wonderful.  It started on Friday, when we had our manure pile removed by tractor so we could finish the front paddock.  Then Saturday was a heavy workday - we finished two fencing projects; learned how to trench coated wire underground and connect to existing power to run a charge to the new fencing; ended up replacing some rotten fenceposts - which required a huge load of trash to be taken to the dump....I feel as if we did even more but can't even remember every little thing we accomplished!

Sunday brought a little rain, but it wasn't enough to stop me from hauling April over to have Ivy put a ride in on her before leaving for Germany this week.  It turned out to be a really affirming trip - she said she felt a massive difference in the way the mare is going, and she can tell I am riding her much more balanced than before, and her rhythm tempo is markedly improved as well.  It only re-establishes that we are getting on the right track, and need to keep down the current path of figuring her out!  She told me twice that she is so happy that I ended up with April, to which I responded what a roller coaster it has been.  We had a great little chat about how every horse and every ride are that way to a certain extent, and how if you are truly listening and paying attention, you will learn something every single day from them.  There is so much truth in that, and I continue to discover it on a daily basis.

I am throwing in a couple pictures of Jonah from the day of his vet check with his new "momma" on board.  It was exactly five weeks later to the day that we found him his new home.  Our little gamble actually paid off!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment