Friday, January 6, 2012

Looking Up, And Other Related News...

Yep, that's right.  Things are definitely looking up.  In an interesting twist of events, we have a couple of barn tours lined up in the next week that we are incredibly excited about.  Both options seem like great people with expectations that completely match ours, so we are thrilled to show everyone around and see what they think of our little place!  We have a work day scheduled for bright and early Saturday morning, which will start immediately after we finish our rides.  The goal is to tackle the rest of our paddock, which will consist of finishing up mounting insulators, putting up the polywire, and then installing the fence charger.  The boys' new paddock will be ready by the end of the day if all goes as planned! 

In addition, Ivy gave me a few things to tweak in April's care regimen to see if her behavior improved.  I have to say, the combination of changes plus her week of tuning up has resulted in a dramatically improved horse for me.  I have had phenomenal rides every night this week, and I feel like I am learning something each and every time I sit on her.  I have been really focusing on recognizing when she is truly "put together", because she has a tendency to fool you unless you are really paying attention.  The hindquarters are what I tend to neglect, but I think I am finally starting to figure out when she is truly straight and carrying from behind.  One day at a time, I know we will continue to progress.  But overall, she has been an absolute gem all week, even the night we rode while it was less than 30 degrees out!!!  Last night we hopped a little vertical, and within three strides of landing, we were cantering a quiet 20 meter circle.  Big cheers for improvement!!!!

Samson started a half-lease yesterday, and I swear he gave me the stink eye when I brought him in last night.  Bless his heart, he is still so fat and out of shape, but convincing HIM of this fact is yet to come.  For now we will have to deal with the occassional cranky look while he continues to get back into shape....

1 comment: