Monday, May 7, 2012

Know When To Hold 'Em

It's like the old poker song...you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.  Unfortunately I still am not sure what to do.  April was still off over the weekend, and it left me debating whether or not to pull out of our plans to do Foxtrack.  We are a little less than three weeks away from the show date - which would also mean only three lessons away from preparaing, after over a week of being out of work completely.  ***Sigh****

Saturday was tackled in impressive fashion.  I took her being off with a grain of salt, and decided to make the best of it.  I dove into spring cleaning projects at the barn - scrubbing the tack and feed room from top to bottom, organizing the first aid kit, storing the rest of the winter blankets, hanging flytraps galore, and spraying down stall mats with deodorizing spray.  I topped off the day by building a fairly impressive cordword fence out back, which still needs a few more logs to finish it off, but my arms gave out after the first 20 or so....

Then Sunday dawned, and with it came the inevitable pity party.  I know, it's immature to say the least, but I couldn't help indulging in it a bit.  I knew I was really starting to love and appreciate my mare, but I didn't realize how much until it was snatched away from me this past week.  Try as I did to get out of the funk, I just couldn't manage it.  So I let myself be a grump.

Well, Sunday is over, and today dawns a new day, so I am resolving not to be a first class whiner.  At least that's the goal.  I have to keep reminding myself that it could be SO much worse.  This is just a little hiccup, and we'll be back on track soon enough. 

So now to feel out this week, and see how things look in terms of aiming for Foxtrack or not.  A piece of me just says to scratch it and go cheer for Robyn and Ashley.  Pick another horse trial and just go it alone.  It doesn't really seem to matter one way or another, so I guess it is in the hands of Ms April for now.  This week will more than likely be the deciding factor...so we will see!

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping for a speedy and full recovery of your mare!

    ReplyDelete