Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Admit, I'm Kind of in Love....

Just as the title would lead you to believe, I am in love...with a big, long-legged redhead....yes, you guessed it - my new mare.  I am absolutely smitten.  It is so funny, because for so long, I had started to think I might be (gasp!) lazy..or losing interest in riding...or a combination of the two.  The truth is, I had lost so much of the enjoyment in riding.  Delilah and I just never clicked.  I had an early foundation of distrust in her, and she had a history of being "lied" to, and it was just a bad combination.  I believe I learned from and overcame what I needed to in the situation, and thankfully conquered the fear issues before I sold her.  However, it was far past time to move on.

So here I am, moving on, and reveling in every moment.  I find myself so excited to get to the barn and ride.  I find it HARD to give her a day off, instead of a relief that I don't HAVE to go work her.  I have been schooling with no stirrups for a portion of my ride every night this week, because I am so determined to get back into shape.  Tuesday night I worked over fences for a bit, and even finished up with a great canter over our little log jump and stone wall in the cross country course.  Last night I had slated for flatwork, so I took away the stirrups for the majority of the ride, and even ended up cantering without stirrups.  I can't remember the last time I did that!  I even hopped a crossrail, on April, the SUPER forward mare, with no stirrups.  And when she tore off excitedly afterwards, instead of freaking out, I sat up, tightened my core, and she came right back to me. 

I'm in love.  With a mare.  And I am absolutely, positively, without a doubt, in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment