Friday, June 3, 2011

Big News for the Future!

Well, it has been a crazy couple of weeks, but we have big and exciting news! After six years, I have moved away from my old barn. The exciting part is that this means my mare is finally going into TRAINING!!!! She moved into her new home last night, and is going to start out with 30-60 days of professional training effective immediately! I am so excited to finally get the ball rolling and make some progress and decisions on whether she is going to be my long-term horse or not.



I have to say, I am immensely proud of how she has handled the last couple days. We moved her out of the old barn on Wednesday night, and she stayed the night at the farm where my gelding has gone to live. Now, I have to preface the whole "moving" feat with the fact that this mare has probably only been on a trailer a sum total of about three times, and as far as we know, has only lived on a total of three different farms in her ten years. So the fact that she strolled right onto the trailer, walked back off, and did nothing more than look around a little excitedly was stellar! She and Samson called back and forth to each other for awhile in their new home, but that was the most of the excitement.





Then we loaded her up again last night without a hitch and moved her to her new trainer's barn. She stood patiently on the trailer while we put up a few horses, then walked right off and strolled into her new paddock without any apprehension at all. She trotted around when the horses were turned out beside her, but settled in and started eating calmly in no time. Her new trainer is very excited to have her, and I can't wait to see how they progress together!



Samson is settling in well too. I "tucked him in" last night at his new place (this basically means giant hugs and kisses, in excess!) last night before leaving the farm. He seems to have adjusted easily, and is enjoying the "boo-boo paddock" by himself until we can get the vet out to follow up on his suspensory injury. I contacted his former owner a few days ago to see if she is interested in possibly taking him back. The decision to leave my barn was unexpected, and keeping up with the expense of both horses while Samson has had his injuries has been pretty overwhelming. Unless the vet tells me radically different about his prognosis, I am thinking that he needs to go to a home where he can be enjoyed as a trail and flatwork horse only. I just don't feel right about jumping him in light of the latest injury.



So, that is the biggest news for now. I can't wait to get my blog going again with new progress. I am hoping Delilah will get her first training ride this weekend, and I can't wait to tell all about it! It is so exciting to have such promising opportunities ahead of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment